Listed below are helpful tips on how to care for your rug. Call us directly if you have any questions.
- Rotate your rugs 180 degrees every six to twelve months. This will help with wear and color change.
- Moth proof your rugs. Wool moths can eat away your fibers ruining your valuable rug.
- Use rug pads. These will prolong the life of your rug, protect your floors and prevent slippage.
- Vacuum parallel to fringe. Most damage comes from the fringe being torn by the beater bar on the vacuum.
- Vacuum often and with the beater brush in high position to lightly him the top of the fiber. This will lengthen the life of the rug and the vacuum.
- When storing rugs for over two months, the rug should be cleaned, moth proofed and wrapped in a paper, not plastic, so they can breathe.
- Have your rugs cleaned every 12 to 18 months depending upon traffic. Dirt granules fade the color of your rug and work as an abrasion to your rug’s fibers.
- Use furniture glides to prevent the fibers in your rug from being crushed.
- Take pictures of your rug and record its dimensions, rug type and purchase price. This will come in handy in case of fire, water or theft. Appraisals are the best way to protect your investment.
- To ensure the proper attention and care is given to your rug or carpet, let the professionals at Oriental Rug Specialists, Inc. address all your cleaning, repairing and appraisal needs.